Tuesday, January 12, 2010

D-Day, One Year Later

One Year Ago. Yep, one year ago today was the day I was "officially" diagnosed with cancer. Now, you'd think that would be a big deal and I'd remember it all so clearly and horrifyingly. But actually, I was at my desk at work, quietly working away, when the good and great Dr. Karam called and said "It is what we thought is was." Which is easier to hear than "you have cancer" (I actually don't think he ever said those words...gee, do you think this has all been a giant misunderstanding??).

A few days before he had answered my "you seem to be acting as those this is definitely cancer" inquiry with "it walks like a duck and talks like a duck..." So when he said "it is what we thought it was," I said, "It's a duck?"

And he laughed and said, "It's invasive ductal carcinoma."

Duck, ductal...close enough. (I made a joke about his accent being stronger than I thought it was. Yeah, I'm like that.) Then I called Chris to let him know, since it meant we'd be going back to UCLA the next day for an MRI, and then I went back to work.  I don't think I even mentioned it to my assistant that day (but I might have; I tell her everything).

I think that I was just really well prepared for the diagnosis and the upcoming treatment. Well, as prepared as one can be. Dr. Karam had done a great job of leading gently but firmly to what would be going on and Chris and I had talked enough to figure out how we'd handle this. And, of course, I'd been through this once before with Seamus. And he lived. (The Dog Lived. And so did I. Remember?)

This last weekend, Seamus and I went with a friend and her dog (Judy and Champ, respectively) on a walk/hike to the top of Mt. Rubidoux (see photo).  A beautiful 3 mile walk. I was amazed I could do it. I not only did it, I enjoyed it and have plans to go again this Saturday. Call it a victory lap.

P.S. Here's how well the dog is living...yesterday our friends dropped off their dog Harold for us to dog-sit for a few days while they're off on a cruise. Seamus managed to grab the bag that held one week of Harolds food plus a few Greenie chew treats. He pulled it down off the counter and proceeded to eat about 1/4 of the bag and several Greenies. Then he coughed and choked and looked miserable, so Chris picked up both dogs and rushed to our vet. By then, naturally, Seamus was acting fine. So $50 lighter, Chris returned home with the dogs. Seamus's belly looks like a python that swallowed a meerkat and he's burpy and gassy, but he'll recover. He just didn't get dinner last night and isn't terribly interested in breakfast this morning.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Keep up the great health. I can't wait for my super-healthy one-year anniversary!


Comments mean you care. That's all I'm saying.