Sunday, September 26, 2010

Women of Achievement

Yeah, the title kinda cracks me up, but they really did give me such an award. Not just me, there were six of us. And there we are in the first photo (L to R: Barbara Purvis, Colette Lee, Debra Murphy, Colleen Walker, Yours Truly, and Betty "Bets" Folsom). The luncheon was very nice and my friends and family turned out in all their glory (two full tables of 'em!).

So rather than bore you with what I said and what was said about me (the others were fascinating of course...surely they have their own blogs?), I'll just show you some of the great photos my personal paparazzi (Mike Easley of Vital Excess) captured.

Here's me with my dad and step-mom (and she won the beautiful nautilus shell necklace in the raffle!).

 And here's me with my mom and Chris. We were almost ready for that photo. (Yes, right, my height comes from my dad. And a killer pair of Cole Haan Nike Air heels!)

And now that's me with Chris and Chris's mom Trudi (No idea where Chris's height comes from; I'm just glad he has it.)

Michelle Pierce (my awesome assistant) and Laureen Pittman (my unparalleled paralegal). (Oh, and they're not that tall; I bent down!)

Me on "the big screen" during the luncheon. Thankfully, from my vantage point on the stage, I really couldn't see this. Because I don't think seeing oneself on a screen that large could be a good thing. Unless you're Julia Roberts. Which I am decidedly not.



Here's me making faces. Oh, and giving my "acceptance" speech. There were laughs (intended) and tears (not at all intended!).

On stage with Collette and Debra (the banner is the YWCA logo--and part of what we were honored for).

And last, but certainly not least, here are the wonderful Women of Table 17 who nominated me. I'm proud to have such an esteemed group appreciate my work for Alternatives to Domestic Violence, The Mary S. Roberts Pet Adoption Center, and, of course, The Inland Agency's "The Pink Ribbon Place."

So there you have it. A great day. And this also gives the much anticipated update on what my post-chemo hair looks like now. Yeah, I lightened it.

4 comments:

  1. Let's talk about the important stuff: Your hair looks gorgeous! I'm going for a new "do" soon - keep your fingers crossed for me. (And oh, yeah, Chris, you look great, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your award! Sounds like you have been doing some amazing work, good for you. Also, I agree your hair looks great, I'm envious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you! Great pictures. How tall are you? I'm 5'9 so I usually tower over people in pictures, tooo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chrissy-- I'm 5'10 1/2"--and I was wearing 4 inch heels. So on that day, I was a mere 6' 2 1/2" tall! Once one reaches a certain height, we're pretty much staring across a room at a sea of bald heads and bad hair parts, so I find it no longer matters how tall my shoes are. Just as long as they're cute.

    ReplyDelete

Comments mean you care. That's all I'm saying.