Friday, March 27, 2009

Red Blood Cells need Love Too.


I have no luck. None whatsoever. Just when I started feeling better...Wham.

If you read yesterdays post you may recall that I mentioned my head was really itchy. Yeah, um, it's not alone. When I woke up I noticed a few red blotches on my wrist and arm. Then I got out of the shower and eeeh gads!! I had what can only be described as welts in patches all over my body (although Chris suggests "hives")--and yes, on my head too. I went to the handy-dandy "pages stapled together" booklet that passes for my guide to chemo care and became concerned that I had several of the side effects that may indicate a red blood cell count problem or a platelet problem. Either one is of course, not good. So I called the oncologists office...and right, it wasn't 9a.m. yet so no people are available. I self-medicated with hydro cortisone cream, which helped keep me from scratching all the skin off my body until 9a.m when I got a hold of a nurse (doctor must have moved to Switzerland and the nurse practitioner was in the Pasadena office). The nurse had me take two Benadryls and go to bed. First of course I had to call my office and have them cancel my appointments for today. Then I did as instructed and yeah, no kidding about going to bed. The two Benadryls knocked me out. On the bright side, I don't think I've slept that well in a long, long time.

When I woke the spots were somewhat smaller and not neon angry red. They were a nice breast cancer ribbon pink. But definitely still there. Nurse called back, asked questions, suggested another round of Benadryl. Rinse, Repeat (more good sleep). By the next call the nurse practitioner had been contacted and they were calling in a steroid prescreption, since it appears I'm having an allergic reaction to something or other--apparently it's not a red blood cell or platelet problem, although I'm not convinced they know for sure. So, yey, hooray, more steroids for me. Ugh. 6 days worth--start with 6 a day, drop to 5, then 4, and so on. And of course, much like chemo day itself, I have indigestion too. The really fun part is that it's the weekend now, so if anything else occurs I'll be dealing with Urgent Care (at UCLA!!). And I missed a day of work. This was just not in my plan! Cancer's little buddy chemo is so rude. Completely inconsiderate. Just leaves me quite literally, scratching my head.

2 comments:

  1. Good grief. I've had hives. I'm allergic to sulfa drugs and my mom was the only one who knew about that until I took a few days worth of antibiotics for a sinus infection when Andrea was newborn. It sucks. Oh, I get them when I stress...a lot. On top of having eczema. I hate my skin. So, I feel for you. It took weeks for mine to go away for good after that antibiotic fiasco. Just don't scratch! Sorry this isn't going to plan. Cancer wasn't your plan at all, so the treatment and side effects aren't going to cooperate with you either. Good thing you have a great staff at your office, great friends all around, and a great Chris at home. When your plans fall apart, you have a good group to help you hold life together until you can deal with it later. Hope you get past this little hurdle soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief. I've had hives. I'm allergic to sulfa drugs and my mom was the only one who knew about that until I took a few days worth of antibiotics for a sinus infection when Andrea was newborn. It sucks. Oh, I get them when I stress...a lot. On top of having eczema. I hate my skin. So, I feel for you. It took weeks for mine to go away for good after that antibiotic fiasco. Just don't scratch! Sorry this isn't going to plan. Cancer wasn't your plan at all, so the treatment and side effects aren't going to cooperate with you either. Good thing you have a great staff at your office, great friends all around, and a great Chris at home. When your plans fall apart, you have a good group to help you hold life together until you can deal with it later. Hope you get past this little hurdle soon!

    ReplyDelete

Comments mean you care. That's all I'm saying.