Saturday, January 17, 2009

D Day

I've had a little time to do some reading and of course I'm still obsessing with reading about BREAST CANCER. And I've received a few emails and calls from women who've "been there done that." So I realized, I'm a little unclear on what my "D Day" is. That is, on what day was I actually diagnosed. Help me out here... the choices are as follows:

1) December 18, 2008. First doctor's appointment where I say "I feel a lump" and the physician's assistant says "I don't like this at all."

2) December 23, 2008 when my ultrasound and mammogram reports are in and the doctor calls and says "highly suspicious of malignancy."

3) January 8, 2009 Dr. Karam looks at my July 23, 2008 mammogram and my December 19, 2008 mammogram and says "walks like a duck, quacks like a duck" and schedules my biopsy for the next morning.

4) January 9, 2009 when same doctor says, right before the biopsy, "95% chance this is cancer", or,

5) January 13, 2009 when the biopsy results are officially back and Dr. Karam calls to say "It's what we thought it was." (Note how rarely the word "cancer" is actually used; and yes, it's a duck. Actually, it's duct cancer--maybe he has more of an accent than I thought!!!).

I feel like the D day is January 13, 2009 (hey, I had a 5% chance before then!!). Which works out great for the February 13th birthday bash. But from what I'm reading (books and emails)...it may actually be the December 23, 2008 date (which is a bad day in my family for so, so many reasons).

What do you think? Leave a comment below or vote to the right! (This lets me know I'm not talking to myself. Okay, I'm not talking to just myself.)

Oh, and I did eventually get to sleep last night. But tonight...Tylenol PM is my BFF.

12 comments:

  1. I'd say Jan 13. That would be "D" day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now take your tylenol PM and nighty night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got out of the jacuzzi (must use it while I still can). Next up, BFF Tylenol PM. But, um...could you (nancy)record your vote over to the right there? This is totally scientific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Id say the 13th is D Day. Rod and I did Mt Rubidoux yesterday. I thought about you and that would be a great thing for you. Talk about letting off steam!!! If you want someone to join you and seamus, Im in. Im a good listener on the uphill because I cant breath!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it wrong that you shine most in times of crisis? Nothing like cancer for a good buff and wax.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay--I voted. I'm thinking 12/23--it couldn't be 12/18, because we were all drinking and eating and playing with our boobs that night, remember? BTW--there are many cooking experiments going on today (PBO, Nat'l Beef, URS, etc. are all accepting recipes). I'm thinking there will be food in the office tomorrow. Maybe we should all take Denise's advice and do Mt. Rubidoux . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last post was me . . . I didn't mean for it to be anonymous. I guess I'm more blog-challenged than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd say the 13th, from a "technical" standpoint. But, realistically, if it were me and I found a lump? I'd say the 18th. I am not a "glass is half full" gal when it comes to my health, either. I would have already decided I had cancer, and, well, if it was actually confirmed (no matter what date that was) I was right, I am now officially a doctor and I diagnosed myself. Right? I'm gonna vote the 18th, and will "check the box" accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, sorry bout that. And I thought I was doing so good! Have a great day today. I left your blog open yesterday so your Dad could read it. I guess you got his call! lol Have a good one. I'm off to work. Football is bout to begin round here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's encouraging to know everyone is as confused as I am about what "THE day" is. Perhaps I will ask the experts. But the polling is just a lot more fun. And what's cancer if not fun??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Advil PM is not an option. For two weeks before the surgery, only Tylenol is allowed. Otherwise, I agree--I'm all about the Advil.

    ReplyDelete

Comments mean you care. That's all I'm saying.